"How can massage help with the aches and pains of getting older?"
People of any age can benefit from massage therapy because of the muscular and circulatory changes we go through as we age.
As we get older, our muscles and connective tissues usually become weaker, less flexible and more prone to injury. You might have noticed that as we age our bodies become less flexible and less mobile. Simple acts, such as tying your shoe or reaching up to a high shelf is more difficult.
Even worse, once injury (a muscle tear or skin injury) occurs it usually takes longer to heal.
Often as early as 40 or so, begin to experience stiffness that we didn’t when we were younger, as well as higher levels of pain. "I USED to be able to reach my toenails to trim them" If we do not stay in shape, reduce the trigger points, eliminate the CAUSE of the stiffness, it will just keep getting worse.
Gentle trigger point therapy is very helpful at increasing Range of Motion and decreasing pain! Massage therapy is a terrific way to help with aging muscles in a way that’s safe, effective, and natural. No need to be concerned, I am experienced at working with people in their 80s and up.
For years, I worked with a woman in her mid 80s. She was very concerned about the fact that she was bending further forward and getting shorter! Even after only a few treatments, she was SURE that she was taller! Her family commented to her that she looked much better and straighter. It was just too bad that we had not thought to mark her height on the doorway to show her progress.
A massage plan can help to reduce pain and stress all over the body, increase flexibility and mobility, help you sleep better and even help the circulation.
Here a just a few of the specific benefits of massage therapy for the older adult:
- Pain relief
- Positive affects on mood and sleep
- Increased flexibility and mobility
- More energy
- Better balance and coordination, increased range of motion can decrease chance of muscle tears if one does slip or fall
- Faster healing, moisturizing of dry skin with quality lotions or oil
- Decreased inflammation
- Increased joint health, decrease in pain from arthritis
- Many older people are starving for touch, sometimes they are living alone, or even couples have "forgotten" how to touch and cuddle.
- An overall sense of increased well-being and health.
- The gift of pampering for an hour a week or month is very healing, whether it be the touch itself or just having someone really listen to them (while they are getting the massage). The “listening to what they have to say” is "part of the therapy" for many people, young and old!
If you (or someone you love) are no longer as young as you used to be, come and experience the important benefits of massage therapy.
I also have state of the art SAFE and EFFECTIVE alternative to osteoporosis drugs that are being found to be even more unsafe than you thought! Ask me about the most important BONE HEALTH PRODUCT on the market. And NO, it is not just another calcium and vitamin D supplement.